Sunday, October 2, 2016

1973 Volkswagen Sedan Delivery

How Rare?
  
00404_j9ojonGccPQ_600x450
Featuring cars that are advertised for sale with only one photo, is not our favorite thing to do here at Barn Finds. But sometimes, the vehicle is so interesting, so rare, we can’t resist. Offered for sale here on craigslist in St. Louis, Missouri, but apparently located about a hundred miles away in “mid-Missouri”, is this very scarce 1973 VW sedan delivery. The text in the seller’s ad is not any better than the photo, and it reads in its entirety: “1973 Vw sedan dlivery. Fair to restore. 3000.00 cash. Mid mo rare. Type 3 eng. runs n drives needs. Restored”.


Learning how to spell “delivery” would be a good place to start on getting this car sold, but in the meantime, maybe one of our readers can snap it up, take lots of better photos, and write up an article about the trip to pick it up, more about restoring it…hey, I can dream, can’t I? So how rare is it? The short answer is, I don’t know. I couldn’t find any production figures for it, and a quick Google image search failed to yield a single other example in a quick scan of the first 400 photos. The regular VW station wagons are uncommon enough at this point, but I can honestly say I don’t remember the last time I’ve ever seen one of these. As BF’s resident “big American car guy”, this VW is not my normal forte, but it was far too interesting to not do a quick write-up on it, and I’m very much looking forward to our knowledgeable readers to tell us all about it.

Other Pictures Of This same Type Truck: 

vw panel 1

vw panel 2
 
141_1_L_vw-type-3 
 
1 
 
VW Type 3 wagon - rear 
 
 
Source: barnfinds.com