Tuesday, September 1, 2009
1972 1302S Super Beetle
My ex-daily driver
Second owner since Dec. 31, 1994
Anzhal Flamingo Red
Original 1600dp engine
Solex 30-PICT carburetor
Scat headers w/single quiet pack
Stock interior w/Toyota front seats
14" Rota Minilite replica wheels
Falken Ziex tires (195/60R14)
Complete papers including certified VW of Germany birth certificate.
Tachometer has been removed but is included with the car
Steering wheel has been replaced with a stock unit
Posted by Pw3680 at 6:13 AM
Ireland VW Factory
Ireland's place in Volkswagen history was established in 1950 when a consigment of six Beetles arrived into Dublin packed in crates in what was termed 'completely knocked down' form ready to be assembled. A former tram depot was aquired for this purpose at 162 Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge - the premises now occupied by Ballsbridge Motors.
There, the first Volkswagen ever built outside Germany was assembled thereby establishing Ireland's unique place in the history of Volkswagen worldwide. That first Volkswagen ever assembled outside Germany, which survives in its original condition is exhibited in the Volkswagen Museum in Wolfsburg, Germany.
With assembly output rising from 46 units in 1950 to 2155 units in 1952, the business quickly outgrew the Shelbourne Road facility leading to the purchase of new premises at Naas Road, Dublin.
In 1955, assembly was transferred from Shelbourne Road to the new factory on Naas Road - premises which had earlier been commissioned by tayloring company Montague Burton then placed on the market for sale before ever being used.
In the new Naas Road premises, Beetle assembly continued non-stop until September 1977 when the production of the Beetle ceased in Europe. During this period, the Naas Road facility - which remains the headquarters of the company today - also assembled the renowned Volkswagen Transporter van.
The Volkswagen organisation in Ireland was founded by the late Stephen O'Flaherty.
In 1950, thanx to his vision and enterprise, the Volkswagen Beetle was introduced into Ireland. It was an initiative that was to change the face of Irish motoring and lead to the establishment of a nationwide industry that was to grow in significance and importance ever since.
Widely remembered as one of the great pioneers of modern Irish motoring, Stephen O'Flaherty was born in Passage East, Co. Waterford in 1902. His father came from the Aran Islands.
His association with the motor industry in Ireland began with his appointment to the accounts department of Ford in Cork wich he joined circa 1928. Later, he moved to McCairns Motors, Dublin where he rose from his first appointment in accounts to become Secretary and General Manager of the company.
In 1939 he resigned from McCairns Motors to devote his attention to Howard McGarvey & Sons, a small engineering business which had been acquired in Townsend Street, Dublin which specialised in general engineering works servicing steam engines and steam driven wagons and the reworking of all forms of engineering machinery and equipement.
By 1946, he had re-shaped the business transforming it into a fully-fledged motor distribution and retailing operation trading under the name Motor Distributors Limited. In its new guise, motor activities began with the assembly of forty-eight Adlers. By 1948 the range expanded to include Willys Overland jeeps and station wagons, Nash and Singer (assembled in Townsend Street), followed by Lagonda , Aston Martin and Alvis (imported fully built up).
Then along came Volkswagen. In 1949, the company was successful in securing the Volkswagen franchise for Ireland - a deal that was signed and completed on 22nd June 1950.
Three years later, in 1953, Stephen O'Flaherty further extended his relationship with Volkswagen by aquiring the franchise for the UK which he subsequently sold to the Thomas Tilling Group in 1957.
May It Rust In Piece
Source: VW Made In Ireland
Posted by Pw3680 at 6:03 AM