Sunday, October 2, 2016

1970 Volkswagen Beetle

IMG_0399
Sometimes you find classics for sale in the most unusual places. I was driving by a used car lot today that specializes in late model foreign cars and spotted a little yellow classic on the back row. I turned around and went back and took some photos for you folks! It’s for sale in Raleigh, North Carolina and is listed here on the dealership website.

IMG_0402
I actually think the asking price of $6,950 is a bit high for this Beetle, but remember, it’s a used car lot so you’re not going to pay what they’ve got it listed for anyway. I love the roof rack, and I know the wide whitewall tires don’t belong on a car of this vintage, but I think they’re pretty cool anyway. From this distances (and notably in the pictures on the dealer website) the car doesn’t look bad at all.

IMG_0401image: http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IMG_0401-630x420.jpg

However, when I looked closely, I could see some rust around the edges of the panels in a few places. The yellow paint, while not original, does look like the original color that I could see underneath in spots. At this point I don’t think the rust is bad, and a good cleaning and waxing as well as indoor storage would probably keep it in check for a while.

IMG_0414
There’s also some evidence here of an ill-fitting hood. There’s a few dings in the bottom of the front valence, but I don’t think this is collision-related, I just think someone had the hood off and didn’t remount it correctly.

IMG_0406
Here’s a closeup of that great luggage rack. The wood strips are just begging to be refinished, aren’t they. I realize this is an attempt to make the car look older than it is, but considering how common Beetles are, it doesn’t bother me. I like the vibe given by the older features.

IMG_0409
Inside, the seats and dash were in pretty good shape, although as you can see on the right, the window weatherstripping for  the side windows is shot. I really liked the EMPI floor mats as well; whether truly period or not, they were cool. And that’s what this classic is–cool without having to be perfect. What do you think? I’d drive it!

Source: barnfinds.com