Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Split Window: 1952 VW Beetle


1952 VW Beetle
I don’t watch much television, when I finally take a break from Barn Finds I don’t really want to stare at another screen, but every once in awhile I like to catch a few minutes of TV. My go to show lately has been American Pickers, I won’t lie I would love to go picking with Mike and Frank someday! I love digging through old junk to uncover our own history (if either Mike or Frank see this, get in touch!). So when I came across this split window Beetle here on eBay, I was pretty excited when I realized it’s Mike’s car. It’s currently in Columbia, Tennessee with a BIN of $28,500 and appears to be at a VW shop.


Mike's Split Window Beetle 
 
When it comes to how cars age, I’ve always been amazed by the look that old Beetles take on as time rolls forward. For a mass produced econo car, they seem to age extremely well. I know how some of you feel about the word patina, but I’ve seen more Bugs with great looking patina than any other car! I don’t want to make anyone upset, so I won’t say this particular car has patina, but I will say that it is nicely aged car that doesn’t so any signs of serious corrosion. I can’t say for certain that it’s all original, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is its original paint.
VW Split Window Beetle
Now before I go any further, I have to comment on the price. Split window Beetles go for pretty serious money these days, but I think this is a bit high for this one. It has had a lot of work done to it already and is said to be a good driver. If it really is an all original survivor, than the price might not be too far off, but you will want to take a closer look at it before bidding. Hopefully the price is based on originality and condition rather than its ties to a TV show celebrity. Personally, that doesn’t add much if any value to me, no offence Mike!

1952 VW Beetle Interior
Given the condition of the interior and the overall look of this car, I’m pretty confident that most of this car is original. Remember it is a 64 year old car and lots of things could have happened to it over the years, so if the price is based on originality you’ll want to make sure it really is before forking over $28k! If it turns out to be a real survivor, do you think it’s worth this kind of money? So who else would like to go out on a pick with the American Pickers? Maybe we could have showdown with Mike and Frank? Nah… but it sure would be fun to go picking with them!

Source: barnfinds.com