Sunday, March 6, 2016

1970 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet


v1
This 1970 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Cabriolet appears to be very original and fairly well maintained. No, it’s not a Porsche 356, but it sure won’t end up costing as much either! According to the seller, the paint is what it left the factory with and seems to be in pretty nice shape as well. It’s located in Manassas, Virginia and is up for sale here on eBay at no reserve, with bidding a very reasonable $1,875 as I write this.

v2
While there are a few dings and blemishes, I don’t see any rust and I’m pleased that the stock wheels and hubcaps are in place (although I wouldn’t turn down some EMPI’s or similar 8-spokes). The matching boot cover is a nice touch as well, I’m guessing that is factory issue as well. Unusually for a Karman Ghia, the nose doesn’t appear bent either!

collage
The pictures of the underside of the car look pretty good too! Were Karmann Ghias painted body color underneath? I’m really surprised to see the car this solid, although since the seller mentions areas of the floor and chassis have “minor areas of rust” some communication with the seller is probably in order. Of course, with 114,000 road miles, I’d expect some blemishes!

collage2
The interior looks like a car that’s been well-used but taken care of, like the rest of the car. I’d probably replace the dash top; new ones are available like this one for $300 or less. I love the picture on the right; the dust and the pretty gauge are just begging to be cleaned and driven!

v4
The engine is shown running, which is a nice thing that not enough sellers do. It inspires just that little bit more confidence in the condition of the vehicle and the honesty of the listing. In this case, we’re looking at the original 1584 cc flat four, nothing that will turn the car into a screamer, but enough to enjoy top-down cruising when the weather allows. I like this one, and while I realize this is no Porsche, it still makes me wonder how this can be a small fraction of the value of a comparable 356? Let us know your thoughts!

Source: barnfinds.com